Best Gastro Endoscopy Clinic in Kokapet, Hyderabad
An endoscopy is a minimally invasive procedure used by doctors to view the internal organs of the patient’s body and diagnose the issues. To perform an endoscopic procedure doctors use an endoscope, which is a flexible tube with a camera attached to it.
As the tube passes through the throat or rectum, an endoscopist can view and manipulate on the internal body parts. A doctor can use an endoscopy procedure to see any of the body parts such as:
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Urinary tract
- Respiratory tract
- Reproductive system
There are several types of endoscopies and they are:
- Pleuroscopy [Thoracoscopy]
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy [upper gastrointestinal endoscopy]
Why Is Endoscopy Done?
A doctor may use an endoscopy procedure to know the causes behind:
- Stomach pain
- Cancer of the digestive system
- Abdominal pain
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Polyps or growth in colon
- Ulcers or difficulty in swallowing
Also, an endoscopy can be used to take a biopsy to diagnose the disease and treat a digestive tract issue.
Advantages of Endoscopic Surgery
Here are some of the benefits of Endoscopic surgery:
- Minimum blood loss
- Less pain
- No muscle or tissue trauma
- Small incision
- Low risk of infection
- Minimum hospital stay
What are the risks and complications associated with Endoscopy?
Risks and complications associated with endoscopy are:
- Infection at the site of an incision
- Inflammation to the specific area where the endoscope is used
- Bleeding in the organ may occur
- Organ damage, irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Burning sensation at the site of anesthetic injection
- Chest pain can occur
- Difficulty in urination
How long does it take to complete an Endoscopy?
The time required to complete an endoscopy depends on:
- Type of the endoscopy performed by your doctor
- Experience of the doctor in performing an endoscopy
- The area to be examined
Overall, an endoscopy requires about 10 minutes to 1 hour to complete the examination of a specific area.
What is the recovery time?
Different types of endoscopy take different recovery times. However, an individual who undergoes any type of endoscopy recovers within 15 minutes to 2 hours.
What is the success rate of Endoscopy?
The success rate of endoscopy depends on:
- Age of the patient
- The area to be examined
- Experience of the doctor
- Type of endoscopy
Is Endoscopy painful?
During endoscopy, local anesthesia will be given to the patient to numb the specific area of the body. So, most patients who undergo endoscopy do not feel pain and may experience similar to discomfort, indigestion, or sore throat.